A couple of months ago, I set up a small greenhouse to moderate conditions for my hardy trees. (Here's that post.) After the weather finally decided that spring was really here after all, the greenhouse became a suitable temporary home for my tropical trees while my hardy trees went onto (also temporary) racks elsewhere. I'm planning an outdoor bonsai enclosure on our new property, but so far other matters involved in our move have been more urgent.
The tropicals are still in the greenhouse, and temperatures have gone fairly quickly from spring to summer. The greenhouse was not designed with any sort of vent in the rear wall; it just came with the door in the front and two vents low on each side. And I discovered that on hot days the temperature inside could get over 100 degrees F (38 degrees C) by early afternoon. While many tropicals can survive such heat without permanent harm, it's not necessarily best for them.
So this weekend I made my own vent in the back end of the greenhouse. I put it as high as I practically could, since hot air rises, and made it large enough, I hope, to let heat out at an adequate rate. Dimensions are 5 inches by 22 inches (about 12½ cm by 56cm.)
|The new rear-wall vent, open. Looking thru to the grass in front of the greenhouse.|
A layer of plastic window screen on the inside will cut down on the amount of leaves and debris that blow in. The vent is held open or closed, as needed, with Velcro. I got pieces of industrial-strength Velcro (or so it's advertised, at least) of different widths at a local DIY store, and stuck them to one another and the plastic of the wall in such a way that nothing else was needed.
|The vent closed. (Yes, the whole greenhouse sits on the ground at a few degrees of tilt.)|
My father was a fairly good amateur engineer. That's one aptitude of his I did not inherit. Almost anything I build or contrive looks homemade; but it also usually does the job it's designed for, and I'll accept that!
:-) :-) :-)