Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

An Announcement Worthy of Attention

For bonsai-lovers in the Great Lakes region of the USA and Canada: The Matthaei Botanical Gardens, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, is pushing ahead on development of a permanent bonsai-display garden on their grounds. This will be open to the public.

Here are two artist's renditions of what the garden will look like when finished. These images are from Jerry Meislik's website (see "Chairman's info," below,) and are used with permission. Plans include a working bonsai studio. Professionals and volunteers will care for the trees and be available to assist visitors.

Why do I think this is worthy of attention? Public resources for bonsai awareness, education, and appreciation are still scanty in much of this part of North America. There are --unless I've missed something -- less than a dozen permanent bonsai collections, open to the public, in the eastern Great Lakes region. The Matthaei Bonsai Garden will be part of filling that void.

For more information, please visit one or both of these site: Chairman's information, and/or MBGNA site. (Actually, I recommend visiting both.)

No comments:

Post a Comment