Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hang on, spring is coming!

Happy Leap Year Day! Today was one of those foretastes of spring (or teasers, take your pick.) The sky was clear after some morning rain, and the temperature reached 64° F (almost 18° C.) Even the gusty winds couldn't stop people from getting out in shirtsleeves!

We will still get subfreezing temperatures and snow for another month or so, but winter's grip is loosening. The local flora think so too. Here are a few pictures I snapped today.

Daffodils in bud, outside Lincoln Elementary School.
Crocus in bloom, also at Lincoln Elementary.


Red maple flower buds. Picture taken near sunset.
The buds of many trees are swelling, and the willows' twigs have gone from dull to vibrant. Did I mention that the day was windy? Branches were tossing so much that most of my pictures of tree buds were blurred. But here is a photo of the flower buds of our ubiquitous red maple (Acer rubrum.) The red maple's flower buds are smaller than garden peas; the blossoms have no petals and open before the leaves.


Trident maple buds opening; ready to repot!



Conditions in the mudroom are milder than outside, and for several of those trees, dormancy is breaking rapidly. The trident maples and Japanese black pine are at the perfect stage for repotting, so I'll be getting to that within the next few days.
This pine's candles are elongating quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment