Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Monday, June 3, 2013

A Personal Post, Not Bonsai-Related

I try neither to hide nor to push my religious and spiritual beliefs. You'll see more of them in this post than in most of my posts on this blog; I say that for readers who are accustomed to (almost) exclusively bonsai-related content here.



Bruce R. Moore
     I have been privileged to spend the last six weeks "walking my father to the door." In the wee hours of June 1st he stepped thru that Door, to see face-to-face the Savior Whom he served from his late teens. I cannot even imagine the joys and glories Dad is experiencing now.

He never showed much concern for earthly wealth and status. As a university undergraduate he decided that, rather than pursue a career in math education, he would devote his life to translation of the Bible for those who didn't yet have the Scripture in their heart language. Other career priorities were governed by that decision. He could have earned a PhD. in a single year; the arrangements were already made at a major university, and his dissertation essentially "pre-approved." But he decided that a doctorate wouldn't make any appreciable difference in the work God had called him to do, so why take a year out of that work?

A lifetime devoted to careful study of the Bible had a strong personal effect. Oddly enough, I'm not sure he himself ever fully realized just how great that effect was. (The too-close-to-the-trees-to-see-the-forest principle.) But I, and others around him, saw it and were benefited.

I could go on for pages, but won't right now. Here is a link to the on-line obituary: Bruce Moore obituary. (I would have rephrased a few things, but overall they did a good job. And the picture of him is a good one.  :-) )

 There were storms the nite he died. Almost at the moment he passed away, there was an especially bright flash of lightning and a tremendous clap of thunder. My niece said that he "left humbly and arrived majestically!"

My debt to this man is incalculable. I am proud to call myself his son.

2 comments:

  1. Steve, Deepest Sympathy in what is undoubtedly a bitter sweet time for you all. Balaam said Let me die the death of the righteous, and let my last end be like his!Numbers 23:10.
    Dads are special people, particularly Dads that are worth emulating. You will miss him. Paul said: For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing. 2 Tim 4:6-9. I know that you can rejoice in the knowledge that your Dad is now at home with the Lord. If you could speak to him today he would respond to your sorrow and say like Paul 2Cor 5:8 I am confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. 2Cor 5:6.
    The light of the eternal day has dawned for him and he is in the presence of the Lord who died for him. He has reached his goal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike, thank you very much for your comments. Yes, Dad has finished his race well. It is now for me to finish out mine relying on the same Savior. Blessings to you.

      Delete