Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Mid-America Bonsai Show 2013, Part VII. Two More Things To Do

(This is my last post about this year's Mid-Am Show -- honest.)

     Participate in the Exhibit Critique, attend Bjorn Bjorholm's demonstration, go thru the Exhibit savoring the quality of the trees, touch base with friends -- what more was there to do at the Mid-America Bonsai Show, you might ask?  I did have two more objectives.

One of the weak areas in my knowledge is the development of an apex. So I devoted two to three hours to peering down (or up) into the apices of various Exhibit trees, examining how they were arranged, and deducing how they must have been pruned. I also took pictures for further study at home, like these of a Japanese black pine:



Looking up into the apex of a Japanese black pine.
Looking down into the same apex.

I also examined the apices of a few trees in the Chicago Botanic Garden's Permanent Collection, like this Ficus microcarpa. (I don't know the cultivar.)

An excellent bonsai, property of the Garden's Permanent Collection.
Like the rest of the tree, the apex gives evidence of years of careful development. 

And of course, I had to visit the candy store! (Read "the vendors.") One of my Ficus salicaria will be ready for a permanent pot next summer, and I spent some time at Sara Rayner's booth, checking available finishes. Meehan's Miniatures is one of my favorite sources for unshaped bonsai stock; I settled on this Korean hornbeam.

The picture doesn't show it, but the trunk taper is quite good.

And, for several years I've enjoyed Ian Young's photos of his accent plants ("Bonsai Eejit.") I finally decided to take the plunge myself, while I was at Meehan's. (Ian, it's your fault! <wink> )

Clockwise from front: pincushion spikemoss, Selaginella kraussiana 'Brownii;' miniature Mondo grass, Ophiopogon japonicus 'Gyoku-ryu;' golden fern, Selaginella emmeliana; and stonecrop, Sedum forsterianum 'Antique Grill.'
I'll repot them all next spring.
Until next year, Chicago!

:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment