Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Rivers, Wolves, and Bonsai

     Back in December I published a post on the debate about Turface®. In it I mentioned a principle that we all do well to keep in mind: One's soil mix, watering practices, fertilizing practices, and climate all interact, with each element affecting the impact of each of the others.

A few weeks after I wrote that, I came across an item on YouTube entitled "How Wolves Change Rivers." More out of curiosity than anything else -- after all, how could wolves change a river? -- I followed the link.



I found a fascinating short video about the effects that followed when wolves were re-introduced to Yellowstone National Park almost 30 years ago. There were relatively few wolves involved, but the cascade of changes was amazingly far-reaching! (Yes, the rivers were affected, and for the good.) It is a very dramatic demonstration of the fact that in an ecology, all the parts work together -- whether it's the ecology in a national park or the ecology inside your bonsai pot.

I won't say any more: the video is well worth watching for yourself, and less than five minutes long. To watch it, please click here.

(Unknown photographer, but it's good, isn't it? No assertion of copyright.)
:-)  :-)  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent video, thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete