Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Sunday, November 22, 2020

Entry Display at Wigert's Bonsai

      In February I wrote a post about a Christmas visit to Wigert's Bonsai, thanks to the generosity of our daughter Kira and her husband Trent. I included as many pictures as I reasonably could, because sometimes, a picture really is worth 1,000 words when it comes to getting across what a place is like. 

But there was one picture I had not taken, and, I discovered, no one else in our party had either: a picture of the display that greets visitors when they first turn into Wigert's driveway. That display is quite eye-catching, and I was kicking myself, figuratively speaking, for not having thought to get a picture. (The display is some distance from the rest of the establishment.)

Then, two months ago, my wife visited Kira and Trent again, and was able to get a picture for me. (Domo arigato, sweetie.) Here is her picture:

Entrance display at Wigert's Bonsai, North Ft. Myers, Florida.

The main tree, its roots growing over the large chunk of reef rock, is a Ficus, presumably F. microcarpa. The shrubs flanking it on either side are Podocarpus (I don't know the species). The bamboo makes a fine backdrop, in my opinion.

Here's a closer view of the main tree:

Root-over-rock Ficus, presumed F. microcarpa. The picture was shot late in the afternoon,
which makes for the strong interplay of light and shadows.

I suppose that, technically, this tree is not a bonsai, since the tree-and-rock composition is not in a container or on a slab. But that really doesn't bother me in this case: it's a still a fine example of the bonsai practitioner's art!

To jump to my February post about our visit to Wigert's, click here.

:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment