Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Peg Graft. Reblogged, sort of.

     A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by Paul Stokes at ofBonsai, the online magazine. He had received permission to republish an article by José Rivera of Puerto Rico; and having learned that I'm not just an until-I-die bonsai practitioner but also a professional translator, he asked if I would be willing to translate  Mr. Rivera's short article into English. I agreed.

I had never heard of Mr. Rivera's technique before. I'm calling it a "peg graft," for lack of another term; you
may prefer a different name. How well it works -- well, I think that is demonstrated by the fact that the tree on which he performed it is being readied for next year's FELEB convention!

The tree on which Mr. Rivera did the peg graft was a Ficus 'Green Emerald.' But I don't think use of the technique needs to be limited to tropical trees. In fact, if I get a good chance I intend to try it on a maple.

This link will take you to the translated article on ofBonsai. A link to the original Spanish is also available on ofBonsai's home page.

Enjoy!


:-)  :-)  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Jose O Rivera from Puerto Rico, if you like this works go to my blog for see others

    http://www.bonsaieneltropico.com/apps/blog/

    I am available to teach these works in any demonstration which can coordinate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buenas tardes, José. Para mí fue un gran placer traducir tu artículo para que los que no sepan español puedan disfrutar, y aprender, de lo que escribiste.

      Un saludo.

      (Good afternoon, José. It was a great pleasure for me to translate your article, so that those who don't know Spanish can enjoy it and learn from it.

      Best regards.)

      Delete