Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Wild Olive Ramification. Again, "reblogged, sort of."

     A day or two after I finished translating José Rivera's article on his peg graft, I got another email from Paul Stokes. This one started: "I should have known ..." He had a chance to publish another Spanish-original blog post, and would I mind translating it?



Mr. Pérez styling "Menesteo" in a 2010 demo. Photo from his blog.
The bonsai artist and blogger this time is Mr. José Antonio Pérez of the ancient city of Cádiz, Spain. The tree is a collected wild olive, Olea europea var. sylvestris, of the strain native to the island of Majorca. Spaniards call a wild olive of this strain an "ullastre," and by the time I finished translating the article I was ready to get an ullastre for myself! (US Department of Agriculture regulations make it very difficult. Bummer.)

"Menesteo," May 2011. Photo by José Antonio Pérez.
Before I send you on to read Mr. Pérez' article -- 10 minutes well spent -- let me offer my personal "thumbs-up" to him and other bonsai artists in his part of Spain, for the use they are making of their own native material. ¡Bien hecho, amigos míos!

For the English translation of this article on ofBonsai, click here:


To read the original Spanish post on Mr. Pérez' blog, click here:


Enjoy! ¡Disfruten!

:-)  :-)  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment