Welcome to my bonsai blog!


Welcome to my bonsai blog!

Look around! Use the Search box, browse the Archive, and leave comments. Click on any picture to enlarge it.
I would be honored to have you follow my posts. There are two ways to do that.
-- If you have your own blog, use Join this site
to have notifications of my posts sent to your blog's reading list.
-- If you don't have a blog,
use Follow by Email: new-post alerts will be sent to your email address. Pictures aren't included; that's just how Blogger does it. For the pictures you come here!
Fora and vendors that I can recommend from experience are listed in the right sidebar.
For more about the ads, and just why I enabled them, please see "About the ads," below.
"And the LORD God made ... trees that were pleasing to the eye ..." Gen. 2:9, New International Version.

"Bonsai isn't just something I do; it's part of what I am." Remark to my wife and daughter.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Upcoming Bonsai Program at the Kosciusko Community Fair

     Saturday afternoon, July 13, at 2 PM, I'll give a presentation on bonsai at the Kosciusko Community Fair, under the auspices of the Kosciusko County Master Gardeners. If you are in or near Warsaw, Indiana, that day, please stop by. The Home and Family Arts Building has a workstation purpose-built for demonstrations, and that's where I'll be.


The focus will be on bonsai with tropical trees. Many indoor gardeners don't realize it, but some of the species they keep and enjoy as houseplants are also well suited to bonsai. Perhaps some of my viewers on Saturday will decide to give this art a try.

This is my demo tree for Saturday: a Ficus microcarpa 'Tigerbark.' Provisional front.
Close-up of the base.
If you're in the area, come and see me!

:-)  :-)  :-)

2 comments:

  1. Love to see your program Steve. I know it will be great.
    PS nice raft material.
    Jerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jerry! :) It would be great to have you here, if it were possible.

    This tree isn't actually a raft (tho maybe that depends on the definition of raft.) It was the top of the tree I got in that workshop with you in Ft. Wayne in 2009. A year later, I cut it back and stuck the top. It rooted, and has developed into what you see in 3 years. (Gotta love the growth rate of microcarpa!)

    I'll post a report afterwards, and include a picture of what it looked like as a cutting.

    ReplyDelete